About the Collector
Frederick R. Mayer began collecting stamps in Dallas in 1934 at the age
of six with his father. Over the years, he has amassed several collections
from different countries or areas.
His greatest interest is in postal history. He earned a degree from Yale
in European History and has always enjoyed studying and reading history.
His interest in stamp collecting has been at least primarily driven by
his interest in history.
He is affiliated with numerous Philatelic organizations including:
- Philatelic Foundation
- Society for Costa Rica Collectors, Inc.
- Collectors Club of New York
- Royal Philatelic Society - London
- Trans Mississippi Philatelic Society
- American Philatelic Society
- American Association of Philatelic Exhibitors
- France and Colonies Philatelic Society
- International Society of Portuguese Philately
- US Philatelic Classics Society
About the Author
Richard C. Frajola has been involved professionally in philately since
1968. After working for several auction houses, including as a consultant
to Sotheby's, he ran his own auction house, Richard C. Frajola, Inc.,
from 1980 till 1995. Since then he has served as a consultant to several
leading auction houses in the United States and served private clients.
He also serves as an expert consultant to the Philatelic Foundation and
Professional Stamp Expertisers. He served as a member of eppraisals.com
as an appraiser and can now frequently be found on the philatelist's
chat board trying to answer collector questions. Feel free to join.
He has published extensively since authoring a book on the postage stamps
of Siam in 1979.